Here is the recipe of Authentic Hyderabadi Biryani that I prepared for Lunch in the weekend.
I have shared quite a few variations of the Biryani on the blog and was looking to learn and try the Hyderabadi Biryani as well, I had been to Hyderabad once few years ago and had tried this delicious biryani there, but never got the chance to learn the process.
I got quite a lot of recipes that claimed to be the authentic Hyderabadi Biryani but I always felt something is missing, until today when I finally managed to prepare it after a few trial and errors.
So, if you want to prepare this Hyderabadi Biryani at home, then follow the exact step by step method mentioned below. I hope you are going to love it.
Preparation Time: 10-15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 35-45 Minutes
Ingredients to marinate the chicken:
|Fried onions||1 cup|
|Ginger-garlic paste||2 teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||2 teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves||1/2 cup|
|Turmeric powder/ haldi||1/4 teaspoon|
|Red chilly powder/ lal mirch||1.5 teaspoon|
|Cinnamon stick/ dalchini||2-3|
|Cardamom green/ choti elaichi||5|
|Vegetable oil||1 cup|
|Green chilly, chopped||4|
|Mace/ javitri||1/2 blade|
Ingredients for cooking the Rice:
|Basmati Rice||1/2 kg|
|Cumin seeds/ zeera||1 teaspoon|
|Bay leaf/ tejpatta||2|
|Cinnamon stick/ dalchini||2|
|Black pepper/ kalimirch||1 teaspoon|
|Cardamom brown/ badi elaichi||1|
|Cardamom green/ choti elaichi||3-4|
|Kesar/ saffron||few strands|
|Kewra water||3 tbsp|
|Wheat dough/ aata||to cover the pot/wok|
Note: Take a wok that has a heavy base, so that the biryani does not get overcooked. Also, the flame would be medium for the initial 5 minutes and then will on low throughout the process.
1. Keep all the ingredients for Marinating the chicken ready. Combine all the ingredients mentioned in the table “Ingredients to marinate the chicken” in a big wok/plate/thali as shown in the image bwlow and mix it well.
2. Keep it aside for an hour. Take the warm milk in a small bowl and add kesar. Keep it aside.
3. We have to boil the rice for biryani. Take a big wok and add enough water (approx. 2 liters) and add all the ingredients mentioned in the table “ Ingredients for cooking the Rice”, cover it and let it boil.
4. When the water starts boiling add soaked rice. Cook it on high flame till the rice is 3/4 part cooked. Drain the water, keep the rice in a strainer to remove the excess water.
5. Take another big wok and add marinated chicken along with 1 cup of water, mix it well. Now add boiled rice on the marinated chicken.
6. Sprinkle kesar-milk mixture and kewra water on the rice and put some fried onions too. Pour ghee evenly on the whole rice.
7. Cover and seal with the wheat dough as shown below in the image.
8. Cook it on a medium flame for 5 minutes, then keep the flame low and cook for 35-40 minutes. Switch off the flame. Open the wok and mix the biryani. Because in this recipe we put the chicken at the bottomed of the wok, so always mix it before serving.
9. Now, I have mixed it so that the juice of the chicken equally distribute to all the rice. Garnish with some more fried onions, Serve hot with raita chutney.