Here is the recipe for Sambhar you can prepare easily at home. The Sambhar is full of vegetables and Dal which makes it a healthy dish you can enjoy with Idli, Dosa or Plain rice. You should consider adding Sambhar to you diet plan.
I’ve also shared the recipe of the Sambhar Masala, you can keep it stocked so that it’s handy if you plan to prepare Sambhar frequently. Following the step by step instructions along with photos and prepare the Sambhar at home.
Preparation Time: 10-12 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
|Arhar Dal/ Toor Dal||3/4 cup|
|Bottle guard / Lauki, chopped||1/2 cup|
|Pumpkin /Kaddu, chopped||1/2 cup|
|Carrot, chopped||1/4 cup|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 tbsp|
|Asafetida, hing||small pinch|
|Green chili, chopped||3|
|Sambhar Powder||2 tbsp|
|Tamarind juice||1/4 cup|
1. Peel off the skin of Pumpkin, bottle gourd, carrot and potato. Chop it into 1/2 inch cubes. Clean and wash the dal. In a pressure cooker, add washed dal, chopped vegetables, water, turmeric powder and salt. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and pressure cook it on a high flame for one whistle, then keep the flame low and cook for another 8-10 minutes. Switch off the flame.
2. Open cooker, and mix it well.
3. Heat the wok with oil and saute with onion and asafetida. Fry it till the onion is translucent in the color.
4. Add chopped tomato, green chili and salt. Cook it on a medium flame till the tomato is mushy.
5. Add cooked vegetables along with dal in the wok and mix it well. Add tamarind juice.
6. Add 2 tbsp sambhar powder, mix it well.
7. Check the consistency of the the sambhar, adjust water and salt according to your taste. Cook it on a medium flame for 6-7 minutes. Switch off the flame. Delicious and healthy sambhar is ready to serve, Serve hot with Dosa, Idli and Rice.