This Sāmbhar recipe is one of the most loved dishes in South Indian cuisine. It accompanies most every meal. Sāmbhar is made with yellow lentil called pigeon peas – Tuvar dal – tuvar dal and vegetables. You can use any vegetables of your choice such as onions, potatoes, tomatoes, brinjals, beans, cabbage, knolkol, raddish etc. you can use any one or a mix of these vegetables.
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time :20 Minutes
|Tuvar dal ( Red lentils)||1 cup|
|Vegetables||250 gram (mix all vegetable you like)|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Asafoetida (hing)||a large pinch|
|Dry red chilli||4|
|Mustard seeds||a large pinch|
|Cumin seeds||1/4 teaspoon|
|Imli (Tamarind paste)||100 gram|
|Fenugreek seeds (Methi Patta)||1/2 teaspoon|
|Sāmbhar powder||2 teaspoon|
1. Wash and dice all the vegetables.
2. Boil water and cook the dal with turmeric powder and salt.
3. Separate the cooked dal and keep them aside.
4. Then in another pressure cooker, take all chopped vegetables , add sambhar powder , salt , tomato ,onion and turmeric powder.
5. After the vegetables are cooked, add tamarind paste.
6. Now add the cooked tuvar dal and simmer for a few more minutes .
7. Heat some oil in a pan, splutter mustard, then add methi , dry red chillies, green chillies, curry leaves, hing , Cumin seeds and keep frying for a few minutes.
8. Season the sambhar with the above prepared tadka.
9. Sprinkle coriander on top,serve hot with rice, idly etc.