Here is the recipe of Vada Pav, the Mumbai style. I previously shared the recipe of Pav Bhaji and a lot of people were asking for the Vada pav recipe as well.
So, we went ahead and baked these Pav in our Oven (it smells heavenly) The Vada preparation is somewhat similar to the other vada recipe we shared. But the method has been posted below for your convenience.
Prepare this delicious thing on the weekend and enjoy it with your friends and family. You will find the preparation for both Vada and Pav below. I hope you like my efforts.
And if you do, please share it with your friends on Facebook or Twitter and other sites where your friends are. Help us grow to make more awesome recipes for you 🙂
Preparation Time: 20-25 Minutes
Cooking Time: 35-40 Minutes
Serving: 10 -1 for each
Ingredients for Ladi Pav:
|Luke-warm water||4 tbsp|
|All purpose flour||2 cup|
|Vegetable oil||1 tbsp|
|Water||to knead the dough|
Ingredients for Vada:
|Vegetable oil||1tbsp plus for deep frying|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Asafoetida/ hing||1/4 teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves, chopped||2 tbsp|
|Lemon juice||2 teaspoon|
Ingredients for batter and other Ingredients:
|Tamarind Chutney, for serving||2 tbsp|
|Green Chilly chutney, for serving||2 tbsp|
|Green chilly fried||3-4 for serving|
|Chickpea flour/ besan||1 cup|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Red chilly powder||1 teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1/2 teaspoon|
1. In a bowl, add Luke-warm water, yeast and sugar. Cover and keep it aside for 10-15 minutes till the foam appears as shown below in the image, it means the Yeast is active. In a broad bowl, add flour, salt, vegetable oil and yeast-sugar mixture. Mix it well, Add water and knead the flour well to a make soft and pliable dough.
2. Put the dough in a separate bowl and cover it with the transparent polythene and Keep it aside for 1-2 hours or till the dough gets doubled in the size.
3. Here is the image of the dough.
4. Divide the dough into 11-12 equal portions and make a smooth orange size balls, Put the balls on the aluminium foil or in a dish in which you want to bake the pav. Cover it with the transparent polythene and let it rest for another half an hours. Brush the pav with milk. Pre-heat the microwave oven of the convection mode at 170C. Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 170C for 25 minutes.
5. In a grinder, add garlic and green chilly. Grind it coarsely.
6. In a pan/wok, add 1 tbsp oil. Saute with mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
7. When cumin seeds starts crackling, add ground garlic-chilly paste. Saute for few seconds.
8. Add mashed potato and salt. mix it well.
9. Add chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice. Mix it well. Switch off the flame. Let the potato mixture cool at the room temperature. Divide the potato mixture into 11-12 equal portions. Take one portion of the mixture and make a lemon size ball.
10. In another bowl, add chickpea flour, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and salt. Add water and make a lumps free batter.
11. Batter consistency should be like pouring. Take one of the potato mixture and dip in the batter to coat it properly.
12. Put the coated balls in the oil and deep fry it on a medium to low flame till it is light golden and crispy. Deep fry 5-6 vada at a time.
13. Take out the fried vada from the oil on a tissue paper to get rid of the extra oil.
14. Cut out the Pav from the Center using a knife and put the Vada inside it. You can also spread some green chutney on one portion if you love it spicy.