Dabeli is a Gujarati dish which I got the chance to taste during a local fair in my city where there were stalls filled with all kind of foods from different part of the country and it just felt like heaven for a food like me.
I tried a lot of dishes which I’ve noted down and will be posting them on the blog in coming days. I arranged a small party for all my cousins and got the chance to prepare Dabeli which everyone liked. And I hope you will like it too.
Here is a recipe of Dabeli with step by step instructions along with photos.
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Ingredients for Dabeli Masala:
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 teaspoon|
|Cinnamon stick||3 small|
|Sesame seeds white||1 teaspoon|
|Dry red whole chilly||3|
|Fennel seeds/ saunf||1 teaspoon|
|Coriander seeds/ dhaniya sabut||2 teaspoon|
|Red chilly powder||1 teaspoon|
Ingredients for Stuffing:
|Potato, boiled, peeled and mashed||2 cup|
|Fennel seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Dabeli masala powder||2 teaspoon|
|Red chilly powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves||2 table spoon|
|Garam masala powder||1 teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||2 teaspoon|
|Dry mango powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Roasted peanut||3 tablespoon|
Ingredients for arranging Dablei:
|Nylon sev / plain sev||1/2 cup|
|Anar / pomegranate||1/2 cup|
|Roasted peanuts||1/2 cup|
|Green chilly chutney||1/4 cup|
|Red chilly chutney||1/4 cup|
|Tamarind chutney||1/4 cup|
Ingredients for Chutney:
|Dry red whole chilly||5|
|Coriander leaves||1 bunch|
|Garlic||8 cloves for green chutney and 8 cloves for red chutney|
1. Dry roast all the ingredients given in table “ingredients for dabeli masala” except red chilly powder and sugar. Roast till nice aroma comes from the spices and roast on medium flame. It will take around 1 minutes to roast the spices.
2. Cool it at room temperature.
3. Take roast spices, red chilly powder and sugar in a grinder and grind it to make a fine powder. You have to grind the spices dry, don’t add water.
4. Heat the pan with oil and temper with fennel seeds.
5. Add turmeric powder and 2 tablespoon dabeli masala powder in the pan. Cook it for few seconds then add mashed potato and mix it well with spices.
6. Add red chilly powder, coriander leaves, garam masala powder, dry mango powder, salt, cumin powder and lemon juice. Mix it well and cook it for 1-2 minutes on medium flame.
7. Transfer the filling in bowl and cool it. Add roasted peanut and pomegranate in the filling, mix it well. Dabeli filling is ready.
8. Grind coriander leaves, garlic and green chilly together to make green garlic chutney. Transfer green chutney in a bowl. Then grind red dry whole chilly, garlic and vinegar to make red garlic chutney. Take out this red chutney in another bowl. (I used my garlic paste here, so you will not see garlic in the image. I forgot to take pictures of red chutney)
9. Take dabeli bun and cut horizontally as shown below in the image.
10. Apply 1 teaspoon red chutney on the inner sides of bun and then apply 1 teaspoon of green chutney on top red chutney as shown in the image below.
11. Now put 3 tablespoon filling on the top of green chutney and spread evenly. Garnish with some roasted peanuts, pomegranate and nylon sev. Pour 1 tablespoon tamarind chutney on filling.
12. Cover it with another half of the bun. Heat non stick pan with butter.
13. Fry the bun from both the sides till light golden in color. Sprinkle some more sev, pomegranate and peanuts. Serve hot with your favorite chutney and onion.