Here is the recipe of Chola Biryani we prepared for lunch. Our food blog, the Evergreen Recipes is quite popular for Nonveg recipes, even though I am a Vegetarian and we have got more Veg Recipes than nonveg.
Recommended: Best Paneer Recipes You Should Try At least Once
Follow the easy step by step instructions along with photos of every step. It’s delicious and veg and everyone is going to love it.
Preparation Time: 15-20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 Minutes
Ingredients for Chola:
|Chola / Kabuli Chana / Garbanzo beans||1 cup|
|Vegetable oil||3 tbsp|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1/2 teaspoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1/2 inch piece|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1 teaspoon|
|Ginger-garlic paste||1 teaspoon|
|Garam masala powder||1/2 teaspoon|
Ingredients for Rice and Layering:
|Basmati Rice||2 cup|
|Water||1.5 liter or for boiling the rice|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 teaspoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1-inch piece|
|Fried onion||1/2 cup|
|Mint leaves||1/4 cup|
|Rose water||2 tbsp|
|Orange food color||small pinch|
1. Soak the Chana overnight and boil it along with some salt. Heat the pressure cooker with oil and saute with onion, cumin seeds, black pepper, cardamom brown & green, cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and green chili. Fry it till the onion is light golden in the color.
2. Add chopped tomato, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Cook the spices on a low flame till the tomato is mushy and oil shows separately.
3. Add curd and mix it well with the spices.
4. Cook the spices for another 5-6 minutes till oil shows separately.
5. Add boiled Chana into the pressure cooker, mix it well.
6. Close the lid of the cooker and cook for one whistle on a high flame, then keep the flame low and cook for another 5 minutes. Switch off the flame. Open cooker and add garam masala powder. Keep it aside.
7. Now prepare rice for biryani. In a big wok add water, salt, cumin seeds, cardamom brown & green, black pepper, cloves, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Let the water boil.
8. When the water starts boiling add soaked rice. Cook the rice on a high flame till it is properly cooked.
9. Strain the water using a strainer. Keep the rice aside.
10. Now we have to layer the biryani. In a nonstick wok, put half of the cooked rice, then put cooked Chana, some fried onion and chopped mint leaves.
11. In a small bowl, dissolve food color in the rose water. Then put remaining rice, some fried onion and chopped mint leaves. Sprinkle food color and 2 tbsp butter on the rice. Cover the lid of the wok and cook it on a medium flame for 2 minutes, then keep the flame low and cook for another 8-10 minutes. Switch off the flame. Delicious Chana Biryani is ready to serve, Serve hot with Salads and raita.