Since I got married in 2011, I have been hearing all the praise in the world about one particular recipe. My Husband has been talking about it, searching the whole city (Lucknow) if he could have it.
He has requested me almost every month since I started blogging to prepare this recipe of Shawarma for the blog. But, this recipe, being originated from the middle east, didn’t catch my attention, probably because I am a vegetarian and much more into Paav bhaji and stuff like that. :-). I still thought I’ll give it a try.
I did my own version of Shawarma by making the roll a bit thick and some modifications in the ingredients. Hope you like it.
Follow this easy recipe with step by step instructions to have a tasty treat.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 Minutes
Ingredients for Marinating:
|Chicken (Boneless, Skinless)||1/2 kg|
|Lemon Juice||1 teaspoon|
|Ginger-garlic paste||1 teaspoon|
|Red chilli powder||1 teaspoon|
|Oregano herbs||1/2 teaspoon|
|Tomato sauce||1 teaspoon|
Ingredients for filing the roll :
|Coriander leaves||1/4 cup|
Ingredients for Roll:
|Flour / Maida||2 cup|
|Baking soda||1/4 teaspoon|
1. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients given under the table “ Marinating” except chicken. Mix it well and grind it to make the fine and smooth paste.
2. In a medium bowl, add chicken cubes and ground paste. Mix it well and keep it in a fridge overnight for marinating.
3. Arrange the chicken cubes in a skewers and grill it for 20- 25 minutes. Don’t over cook the chicken, otherwise the chicken can gets dry , moistures should remain inside the chicken. Take the grilled chicken in a plate. Heat the small piece of coal on direct flame and put it in a plate. Pour one teaspoon of ghee on coal and immediately cover it with another plate so that the chicken can absorbs the essence of coal.
4. Take chicken cubes and chop it into a small pieces as shown below in the picture. Chop all the vegetables finely.
5. Combine flour, baking soda and butter in a broad bowl and knead it into a soft and pliable dough. Divide the dough into a 8 equal portions. Take one portion of the dough and roll it like a chapatti.
6. Heat the pan or tawa and cook the chapatti on medium flame until light golden spots appears from both the sides.
7. Now spread the mayonnaise on one side of chapatti. Put chopped chicken as shown below in the picture.
8. Now put all the vegetable on the top of chicken and put some more mayonnaise on the top of vegetables. Roll it and hold the chapatti with toothpick. Yummy chicken shawarma is ready, serve it with your favourite beverages