Here is the recipe for the delicious Dal Makhani I prepared for lunch. It’s one of the finest recipes a vegetarian can ask for. I had Dal Makhani with Naan, and believe me it’s a killer combination, just like the Palak Paneer with Naan.
You can prepare this delicious Dal Makhani at home by following this easy step by step recipe along with photos of every step. I hope you are going to love it.
Preparation Time: 10-15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30-40 Minutes
|Whole Urad Dal||3/4 cup|
|Kidney Beans , Rajma||1/4 cup|
|Butter/ Clarified Butter||1/4 cup|
|Cinnamon stick||1/2 inch piece|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Ginger-garlic paste||2 teaspoon|
|Tomato puree||1 cup|
|Red chili powder||1 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Fenugreek leaves||1/2 teaspoon|
|Garam masala powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Water||1 cup plus 1/2 cup more|
|Coriander leaves||for garnish|
1. Clean, wash and soak the whole urad dal and Rajma for 5-6 hours or overnight.
2. In a pressure cooker, add soaked whole urad dal, rajma, 1 cup of water and salt. Close the lid of of the cooker and pressure cook it on a high flame for one whistle, then keep the flame low and cook for another 20-25 minutes. Switch off the flame.
3. Open cooker and you will find the dal has velvety texture. Keep it aside. Heat ghee in a wok/pan and saute with onion, bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
4. Fry onion till it is translucent in the color. Now temper with cumin seeds, cardamom green and cloves. Add ginger-garlic paste. Cook it on a medium flame for another 1-2 minutes till the raw smell gone from the ginger-garlic paste. But keep stirring in between the process to avoid the spices stick to the bottom of the wok.
5. Add tomato puree, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Cook the spices on a medium to low flame till it shows ghee separately.
6. Add fenugreek leaves and garam masala powder. Cook the spices for another one more minutes. Add cooked dal in the wok/kadai.
7. Add 1/2 cup water and mix it well. Check salt, if needs adjust it according to your taste.
8. Cook the dal on a low flame for another 7-8 minutes. Switch off the flame. Add cream and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
9. Delicious Dal Makhani is ready to serve, Serve hot with Butter Naan or chapatti. ( Optional : You can give coal flavor to this dal, it enhances the taste)