Here is the recipe of mix dal everyone wanted. A few weeks ago, I started sharing simple recipes that could be prepared for everyday meals. Because let’s face it, nobody wants to spend hours in the kitchen every day, neither does anyone wants to have those super looking and hard to put on the plate recipes every day, because what you would you have on the special days then.
So, Mix dal is for the regular days or for the days when you feel like having something simple and plain, with plain roti and rice (or maybe with some ghee on it).
Follow the easy step by step recipe along with pictures and prepare this dal for your lunch or dinner. I hope you like it.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 Minutes
|Yellow lentil/ Arhar Dal||1/4 cup|
|Split Bengal gram lentil/ chana dal||1/4 cup|
|Split black lentil/ kali urad dal||1/4 cup|
|Whole black lentil/ kali khadi urad dal||1/4 cup|
|Whole Brown lentil /Kahdi masoor dal||1/4 cup|
|Vegetable oil||4 tablespoon|
|Butter/ Ghee||4 tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1-inch piece|
|Ginger-garlic paste||2 teaspoon|
|Red chilly powder||1 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 teaspoon|
|Tomato puree||2 cup|
|Fenugreek leaves/ Kasoori methi||1 teaspoon|
|Garam masala powder||1/2 teaspoon|
1. Clean, wash and soak the lentils for half an hour. Take the soaked lentils into the pressure cooker along with 3 cups of water.
2. Add in salt. Close the lid and pressure cook it on high heat for one whistle, then low the flame and cook for another 8-12 minutes till properly cooked.
3. Let the pressure settle down, open cooker and mash with Mathani.
4. Heat the wok with oil and butter and temper with cumin seeds, cardamom green, cloves, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. When cumin seeds starts crackle add onion and green chilly.
5. Fry the onions till translucent. Add ginger-garlic paste and cook for 1-2 minutes on medium flame.
6. Add in chopped tomato, red chilly powder, salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder and 3 tablespoons of water.
7. Cook covered on medium flame till tomatoes are mushy. Add in tomato puree.
8. Cook for 2-3 minutes till oil shows separately.
9. Add mashed dal and 1 cup more water.
10. Check salt and cook covered on low flame for 5-6 minutes. Open the wok and add Kasoori methi. Cook for another 1 minutes. Switch off the flame.
11. Add in cream, Mix it well. Delicious mix dal is ready to serve, serve hot with chapatti and rice.