Here is the recipe of the Masoor Dal Makhni, inspired from the popular Dal Makhni. We prepare every recipe with a goal to provide variety in the food.
This hold true with this Masoor Dal Makhni or we can say the Creamy Masoor Dal, I’ve used masoor dal split, but the whole masoor dal can be used (just make sure you soak it for 2-3 hours).
Follow the step by step instructions to prepare this recipe at home and I am sure you are going to love it.
Also, don’t forget to try the Dal Makhani Recipe if you haven’t already. Enjoy.
Preparation Time: 12-15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 Minutes
|Split pink lentil / Whole Masoor dal( Split/whole masoor dal)||3/4 cup|
|Butter/ Clarified Ghee||50 gram|
|Cumin seeds / zeera||1 teaspoon|
|Bay leaf, tej patta||2|
|Cinnamon stick, dal chini||1/2 inch piece|
|Cardamom green, chhoti elaichi||2|
|Tomato puree||1 cup|
|Ginger-garlic paste||2 teaspoon|
|Green chili, slit||2|
|Red chili powder||1 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Fenugreek leaves, kasoori methi||1/2 teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves||for garnish|
1. Clean and wash the dal. Take the dal and water into a pressure cooker, add salt. Close the lid of the cooker and pressure cook it on a high flame for one whistle, then keep the flame low and cook for another 5-6 minutes. Switch off the flame.
2. You will get the dal texture like this as shown below in the image. Heat the wok/pan with ghee and temper with cumin seeds, cardamom green, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon stick. When the cumin seeds start turning light golden in the color, add onion.
3. Fry onion till it is light golden in the color. Add green chili.
4. Add tomato puree.
5. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and ginger-garlic paste. Cook the spices on a medium to low flame till it shows oil separately.
6. Add crushed fenugreek leaves. Mix it well. Add the cooked spices in the pressure cooker.
7. Mix it well, check the consistency of the dal, if it is thick, adjust water according to your taste. Cook it on a medium flame for 2-3 minutes. Switch off the flame. Add cream and mix it well. Garnish with coriander leaves. Delicious creamy masoor dal is ready to serve. Serve hot with chapatti and rice.