Here is the recipes of a Dal Bukhara, a delicious dal recipe that I tried in a local restaurant. I instantly loved it. Dal Bukhara is quite similar to the Dal Makhani, with a slight difference. It even looks quite similar to it, but taste is different because of different preparation.
You can follow the step by step recipe along with photos of every step. I hope you will love this one as well.
Preparation Time: 10-15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 40-55 Minutes
Ingredients for Dal Bukhara:
|Whole Black Lentil (Kali urad dal)||1 ocup|
|Ghee/ Butter||1/4 cup|
|Ginger, chopped||1 teaspoon|
|Garlic, chopped||1 teaspoon|
|Tomato puree||1 cup|
|Red chili Powder||1 teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Chat Masala||1/4 teaspoon|
|Garam masala powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Fenugreek leaves, crushed||1 teaspoon|
|Coal essence (optional)||for essence to the dal|
1. Clean, wash and soak Lentil overnight or for 4-5 hours before cooking. Take the soaked lentil in a pressure cooker and add water and salt.
2. Close the lid of a pressure cooker and pressure cook it on a high flame for one whistle then keep the flame low and cook for another 25-30 minutes. Switch off the flame. Let the pressure settles down. Open cooker, you will get the thick consistency of the dal that we want in this recipe.
3. Heat the pan with ghee and saute with onion. Fry it till it is translucent in the color. Add chopped garlic and ginger. Cook for another half minutes.
4. Add tomato puree, red chili powder, cumin powder, salt and chat masala.
5. Cook the spices on a medium to low flame till the spices shows ghee separately. Then add cooked dal in the pan.
6. Add 1/2 cup more water, garam masala powder and fenugreek leaves. Mix it well and cook on a low flame for 8-10 minutes. But keep stirring in between the process to avoid the dal stick to the pan. Switch off the flame. Add cream, mix it well.
7. Heat the piece of charcoal on direct flame as shown below in the image.
8. Make small bowl from aluminum foil and keep the aluminum foil bowl in the pan and put heated charcoal in the bowl. Pour one teaspoon ghee on heated charcoal and immediately cover the wok, so that the gravy can absorb the essence of coal.
9. Only cover the bowl for 30 seconds, then remove the charcoal along with aluminum foil bowl. Delicious Dal bukhara is ready to serve. Serve hot with chapatti and rice.