I have shared this too many times, posting recipes on the blog is a very tough job, but I enjoy every bit of it, because of the appreciation I get for my food. Now I have been getting requests from all corners of the world to prepare things I’ve never even heard of.
Then there are requests (or I would say complaints) that most of my recipes are about Paneer, and I need to cover other vegetables also. Like the regular ones which are being cooked in every household. So, from today onwards, I’ll pick a simple recipe and try to make it exciting so that weekdays can also be made fun for you and delicious for others.
Today’s recipe is Aloo Parwal, which is quite a regular part of the meals of Northern India. I’ve tried to make it exciting and I was successful to some extent. If members of your family don’t like Parwal, they would still love this recipe or perhaps it could end up in their list of favourites. Who knows until you try it.
Below is the recipe of Aloo Parwal Curry with step by step instructions along with pictures.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25 Minutes
Ingredients for Marinating potato & Parwal:
|Pointed gourd/ Parwal||250 gram|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Garam masala powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Yogurt/ curd||1 cup|
|Fenugreek leaves/ Kasoori methi||1 teaspoon|
Ingredients for Curry:
|Coconut powder||2 tablespoon|
|Red chilli powder||1 teaspoon|
|Garam masala powder||1 teaspoon|
|Fenugreek leaves||1 teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||1/4 cup|
1.Wash, peel Potato and pointed gourd. Slit the pointed gourd and remove seeds. Dice the potato and pointed gourd.
2. Combine yogurt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek leaves, garam masala powder, salt and coriander powder in a bowl, mix it well. Add diced potato and pointed gourd into a bowl, mix it well and leave it for marinating for about half an hours.
3. Heat the wok with 1 tablespoon oil and add marinated potato and pointed gourd. Cook covered on medium heat for 8-10 minutes or till oil shows separately.
4. Boil onion, garlic and cashew nuts along with a cup of water for 2-3 minutes. Drain the water and cool it at room temperature. We have to grind onion-cashew for curry.
5. In a grinder, add tomato, khus-khus, coconut powder and boiled onion, garlic & cashew. Grind it to make fine and smooth paste. You can add a little water while grinding to get a smooth paste.
6. Heat another wok with 2 tablespoon oil and add ground paste, red chilli powder, salt and garam masala powder. Cook the spices on a medium flame for 4-5 minutes.
7. Add fenugreek leaves into the wok and cook for another 1-2 minutes or till oil shows separately.
8. Then add fried potato and pointed gourd along with a glass of water.
9. Cook covered on medium flame for 8-10 minutes or till veggies are cooked properly and gravy is thick. Garnish with coriander leaves, serve hot with chapatti and rice.
Print Friendly Recipe
- Potato 4
- Snake gourd/ Parwal 250 gram
- Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Yogurt/ curd 1 cup
- Fenugreek leaves/ kasoori methi 1 teaspoon
- Onion 2
- Garlic 10 cloves
- Cashew nuts 10
- Tomato 2
- Coconut powder 2 tablespoon
- Khus-khus 1 tablespoon
- Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Fenugreek leaves 1 teaspoon
- Water 1 glass
- Vegetable oil 1/4 cup